Monday, April 1, 2013

STALKING T. FOX DUNHAM






T. FOX DUNHAM Published in nearly 200 journals & anthologies. Creator of the Ragtime Cycles & The Saga of Seth-7. Regular stories on Beam Me Up. Author of New World, a wild zombie novella from May-December Press.
  His first novel, The Street Martyr, based on the flash fiction piece Kid Louie published by Flash Fiction Offensive, will be published by Out of the Gutter Publishing. This is a crime, hardboiled, grit-literary novel about the struggle of a low-level drug dealer against a system of poverty and drugs designed to keep him imprisoned in the lowest class of society. 




B.O.C.
WHAT INFLUENCED YOU TO START WRITING?



A: I was born with an innate and spiritual love of the craft. Then my mother imbued me with a love of books, and I wanted to emulate this love. And, it was a way to escape the trials of my early family life, always having a book with me, a shield. I still do it.




B.O.C
 WHAT ARE SOME OF YOUR FAVORITE WRITERS?



A: There are certain authors that ease the pain and comfort me. Truman Capote. Ernest Hemingway. Joseph Heller. J.D. Salinger. I adore Jonathon Safran-Foer and wish he’d write more. Of course, Kurt Vonnegut and Ray Bradbuy and Philip K. Dick. These are the parents of my work, and I live in their vision.




B.O.C.
 WHAT KIND OF ADVISE WOULD YOU GIVE A WRITER THAT’S JUST STARTING OUT?



A: Depends where you’re starting out. If you’re starting to write, then most importantly, finish your work, even if you hate it. Crafting is about encoding that vision in your head onto the page so others can share your vision. It takes time, and you only learn by finishing stories.



A: If you’re starting to seek publication, then build a C.V. Many authors will tell you that only paid work validates, but what’s really important is getting read. You need to build a C.V., and free markets are a good place to start. Care less about other authors. We congratulate each other and create an illusion of success. Readers! Care about readers.




B.O.C.
 DO YOU SCAN THE NEWSPAPERS OR INTERNET SITES, OR EVEN TV FOR IDEAS?



A: Any source of humanity is my font of ideas. Most of my ideas come from my experience, like my battle with cancer or the people whom I have loved and loss. Any source that exhibits human nature is your source.




B.O.C.
 IF YOU HAD THE POWER, WHAT DEAD CELEBRITY WOULD YOU BRING BACK TO LIFE AND WHAT USE WOULD YOU HAVE FOR THEM?



A: Right now, Tony Clifton—whom I’m not going to say was Andy Kaufman. I’m writing a book about Andy and his lost son, and I’d love to wreck a few nightclubs with the Vegas singer.



VOLARE!!!


B.O.C.
 TELL EVERYBODY ABOUT YOUR NEW BOOK.



A: The Street Martyr is my first long fiction. It’s a gritty, crime, hard-boiled novel that transcends the genre into a literary realm of theme. It explores the harsh issue of enforced poverty and the means people employ to escape it: drugs, crime, insanity, and religion.



Vincent is a low-level drug dealer, selling mostly prescription narcotics to college kids in University City in Philly. He and his partner, Louie, operate under a local mob boss, Dominic, and make a poor living, which Vincent uses to take care of his mother who is dying of cancer.



A priest at the local church looked after Vincent as he grew up, Father Gabriel, and on the night of a Nor’easter, he asks that Vincent take care of problem: the new priest, Father Mills, is a known pedophile, and Gab wants Vincent to scare him into restraint until he can get him transferred to a safe place. That night Vincent visits him, leaves him alive, but in the morning, city workers find the priest’s body in a local park. The city, the PPD, and mob start to hunt down Vincent.



At first, Vincent tries to escape, but after losing everything, he decides to join the Philly homeless population and find the only witness to the murder—a local prophet among the lost.



The book will be released by Out of the Gutter Publishing in the Fall.




B.O.C.
 IF YOU WERE STUCK AT HOME ON A FRIDAY NIGHT IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES AND YOUR CHOICE FOR TV WAS DUKES OF HAZZARD OR KNIGHT RIDER. WHICH ONE WOULD YOU WATCH?



A: I doubt I could hear either with my head in the oven.




B.O.C.
WHO’S YOUR FAVORITE CRIMINAL OR CRIME COMMITTED, HISTORICALLY?



A: I’m a great fan of Myer Lansky. He was one of the few members and founders of the mob who died an old man, surrounded by his family, one of the wealthiest people in the world. That bloke had style, self-control, and brilliance.




B.O.C.
WHAT’S THE BEST AND WORST BOOK YOU’VE EVER READ AND IT’S OK TO TELL US YOU’RE GUILTY PLEASURE AS AFAR AS BOOKS OR OTHER ENTERTAINMENT.



A: Gods… are you trying to keep me up at nights? How can I pick just one book? 9 Stories by J.D. Salinger comes to mind as best along with The Grass Harp by Capote. Cosmos by Carl Sagan is my bible. As for worst . . . I usually put books I don’t like down, so I don’t know about worst. Certain books in the Christian bible teach hate and intolerance–and the characters are just so two dimensional.




B.O.C.
 WHAT’S YOUR FAVORITE JERRY LEWIS MOVIE?



A: Oh. A modern one. Cracking Up. One day, I have to fly Jolly Fats Wehawkin Airlines.

ALSO CHECK OUT FOX'S STORY NARRATED BY EARL WYNN ON DARK DREAMS PODCAST  http://www.spreaker.com/user/deadrecords0/dark_dreams_thomas_f_monteleone
http://darkdreamspodcast.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment